Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Golden Age of Gaming - Gaming Memories That Inspire Me

Making my own games is something that I've wanted to do since I was very young.


It's also something strongly imbued with nostalgia.


It takes me back to my childhood, when games were magical.
  
I search through my experiences, trying to find what it is that makes games a special part of my life.  I examine those games which totally captured my imagination, and hours of my interactive enjoyment.  


I ask myself...
Q: How can I imbue my games with this magic?
Q: How can I make great games that last the test of time, that people really connect with?


I don't want to make crappy games. I don't want to make games with core design features that are there JUST to monetize people. Sure, I want to make enough money to live. Hell, I'd love to be rich!  


But for me, I only want to be successful by making great games - special games that connect with people, that get an emotional response, whether that is to make people laugh, feel nostalgic, feel scared, mystified, curious, challenged.  

I want to inspire the sorts of responses that I got from my favorite games - the games that really resonated with me over the years.


As a little exercise for myself, and a sharing exercise with YOU, here are a bunch of games that have really inspired me from my earliest gaming days in the early 80's, and have informed on the sorts of game elements that get me excited.


ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment