Sunday, October 2, 2016

Murray Lorden's Quake & Quake 2 Levels (1996 - 1998)

Quake Levels

I just dug up my old Quake & Quake 2 maps from around 1996.  Here they are!

You can download my maps for Quake and Quake 2 here (5mb).
They're rough around the edges, but I hope you enjoy them.  :)


The first map I made for Quake was "Bones".



At the time I was more focussed on playing music in a band than playing computer games. But one day, we turned up for our usual band rehearsal at our drummer's house, and he had Quake set up, networked across two computers!

It blew my mind.  Full 3D, realtime, incredible sound and lighting.  We started playing deathmatch with 2 or 3 computers at a time, and I loved the single player just as much! Quake drew me  straight back into the world of computer games.

Later, I found Virtus Deathmatch Maker at a local computer store in Eastland, Ringwood. I think it was a Dick Smith. I was thrilled to see this program would let me make my own maps!  I'd made my own maps for simple things as a kid, like Ancient Art of War...  but never anything in 3D!  It was a a lot to learn, but it pulled me straight in.


My second map was called "Myltek".





I still wasn't super good at making a visually rich or coherent world, but I enjoyed making the gameplay spaces, implementing game logic and challenging situations, and testing them over and over, tweaking things.  


Quake 2 Levels

Later I got Virtus Deathmatch Maker 2 so I could make Quake 2 levels.

I got a bit more carried away with these levels, bringing in some custom ambient sounds, and making environments that were a bit more themed (although still a bit rampant as well).

This is two missions, that joined together.  There isn't really an ending to it all!  But it's a fun journey.  


I call it "Drunken Goons & the Underground Operation".




Thief 2

It wasn't until a few years later, around 2000, that I built a more coherent, fully realised environment and mission for Thief 2, called "Lady Lomat's Flute".  

I first released that mission in 2001, and then revisited it again about 10 years later, adding a lot more polish, and a complete intro movie voiced and illustrated by Brendan Barnett.




No comments:

Post a Comment