This is the "MUZTEK Base Game" v1.2!I have added a basic SAVE & LOAD system, which saves and loads the gamestate to a file.
Wednesday, December 16, 2020
Tuesday, November 24, 2020
Here are a few of Will Wright's fantastic GDC talks.
I find his thinking really inspiring.
Will Wright's Design Plunder (GDC 2001)
Sunday, November 1, 2020
This is the "MUZTEK Base Game" v1.1!I have added Audio Option Sliders, which are saved & loaded to PlayerPrefs. You can download the MUZTEK Base Game v1.1 project for Unity here.
Friday, October 30, 2020
I've started building a Unity Foundation Project called MUZTEK Base Game.
This will form the foundation of my own next game, "Secret Keep", but I also wanted to build something simple, generic and light that could form a solid basis for anyone to use as a Unity project!
I made a video to explain what's in it, and how the parts work.
This is just an early release (which I wanted to share with a friend of mine!), but still has a few more things to add, such as Options Volume Sliders, and ideally a simple Save & Load System.
But I figure it's ready now, the way it is, so feel free to give it a spin. :)
Note: This version was built in Unity 2018.4.9 LTS.
Tuesday, September 29, 2020
I got the chance to have a wonderful chat with Al Lowe about the early days of his game development career, and the early years at Sierra.
I was excited to chat with him about some of my favorite games: King's Quest 3 and The Black Cauldron.
Al Lowe's links
allowe.com on the web (including CyberJoke 3000™!)
@allowe on Twitter
Books about Sierra History
Monday, August 17, 2020
I have blocked out a terrain & built the castle walls surrounded by a moat.
This will be my prototype / test space for building the game.
Although, as game dev often goes, it may just turn into the final game!
Sunday, August 9, 2020
Secret Keep begins!
Here I will take you through the journey of making the game.
Over the journey of this Dev Diary series, we'll be looking at making up the game design, the art & music, programming the AI, creating the characters, etc.
Let's get started! :D
Monday, June 15, 2020
Work has begun on my new game...
Secret Keep is an immersive interactive experience inspired by the immersive, simulation-rich world of Thief: The Dark Project, combined with the living story line of games like King's Quest 3: To Heir is Human.
Stay tuned for more news as it comes to hand!
To follow along with the development and get the latest news, I have set up a website for the game Secret Keep here...
Wednesday, June 10, 2020
Saturday, March 7, 2020
BROKEN SIGNAL is now available to download and play.
Get Broken Signal on itch.io now!
Broken Signal - 7DRL Release Trailer
- Jetpack & Overclock your way to the top of the radio tower and Break the Signal!
- Unlock 3 difficulty levels, with increasingly tough towers to overcome.
- Super explosive, super fast paced, super hard.
- See if you can beat all 3 modes!
Sunday, March 1, 2020
- 5: Making towers of variable width, depth and height.
- 5: Spawning the Radio Tower (goal) at the top of the tower.
- 6: Explosion Bonanza! (A particularly explosive snippet of gameplay).
- 7: Destructible Crates, Interior Walls, Rotated Rooms.
- 8: Building the tower shape based on desired total rooms.
- 9: End of Day 2 - Guaranteed path to the top, playtesting mayhem.
Saturday, February 29, 2020
- 3: Level generation basics -> Building a fixed dimensions tower out of room prefabs.
- 3: Floors, Walls, Lights, Barrels, Enemies, Pickups.
- 3: Playtesting!
- 4: Quick playtest of the end-of-day build!
I've decided to use an existing FPS project called BROKEN SIGNAL, and make it into a Roguelike(ish) game!
I've been making some Dev Log videos as I go, to track the progress, features, playtesting and thoughts along the way.
Dev Vid 1: My plans & intentions for the jam!
- Making procedurally generated towers to jetpack up.
- Player must reach the radio tower at the top to win.
- Action packed gameplay - more of a Spelunky-like than a traditional Roguelike.
- Think Quake-meets-Spelunky, but going up instead of down. :)
- Existing FPS project with slow motion, jetpacking, some AI enemies, key and locks.