Sunday, July 17, 2022

SECRET KEEP - Concept Art Generation with MidjourneyAI (Pt 1)

I generated a bunch of concept art using Midjourney.  I had a surprisingly productive experience just using the 25 free "attempts" you get with the free intro trial.

Midjourney is an AI tool where you describe images with text input.  I planned these out pretty carefully ahead of time, to cover the sorts of things I wanted to achieve, and also basing my inputs on a bit of research looking through the existing efforts of other users.

It was a surprisingly exciting and fun process!  It really felt like working with some kooky collaborator, and came back with great images very consistently based on my input descriptions.

Without further ado, here are my concept art images generated with Midjourney!



Visit mysterious islands across a strange archipelago of crooked towers and unusual beasts.

Step through the standing stones in the mist.

The Scorch scour the land, searching for something forgotten to time.

Dive underwater to explore and find lost relics.

If you are lucky, you may find one of the ancient trinket shops, to buy and sell precious wares.

Disguise yourself and go among The Robed unseen and unheard.

Sail the lands to pursue your destiny, choosing who to help, and what paths to forge.


I was kind of shocked how well it worked, and I'd love to keep doing it for hours and hours more...  but I limited myself to the free trial for now.  :D

In many ways, "jamming out" these concepts in collaboration with an AI program felt true to the spirit of my game itself, because Secret Keep is a generator as well (in many of it's parts), and I want to engage the player as an active participant in shaping the events and outcomes of their playthru. 

I want Secret Keep to reflect something of the player's inputs back at them, generating surprising missions, unique to their playthrough, based on how they act in the game and the goals they choose to pursue.


No comments:

Post a Comment