Here's a teaser video that show the first 7 minutes or so. The full journey goes for about 20 minutes.
I made the game entirely on my own, and I got a nice little sailing exploring game finished!
It's was a bit inspired by the music of Secret Exploration Society, a band/album I made with my friend Jim Batt... four of those tracks make up the soundtrack for this game. The album itself was very much about exploring and sailing, and I made this thinking of it as a sort of music-video for the album. :D
The game features numerous things...
- An ever changing sky / fog color, as the weather and time of day turns.
- Quite a nice feeling sailing mechanic.
- Nice camera controls that are mostly smooth and cinematic.
- A compass that shows the direction you are facing at the top of the compass.
- Some OK little islands and environments.
Things that didn't make it in, but that I want to get in are...
- I aimed to get an actual storm into the game, but I didn't get time.
- I wanted a better cloth-sim sail, and a little person in the boat with a cloth-sim cloak. That would look cool in accompaniment of a decent wind system in the game!
- Better sailing physics.
- An ocean that also grows and swells, waves become huge in the storm, then calm down again.
- More detailed and pretty little environments. Trees, grass, stones, more finesse.
- Improvements to the way the sky color and fog colors work, to prevent distant lands popping in and out on the horizon clipping plane.
- Finish off the narrative better. Currently there's no clear ending.
- Add sea foam around objects emerging from the ocean.
- Add more other islands and objects of interest in the ocean.
- And maybe being able to get out of the boat and walk around!? :)